Call For Proposals - YYC Artists and Designers
Active Neighbourhoods invites artist-design teams to submit their qualifications to create a vibrant, temporary public space in a SE community parking lot, on a $12,000-$14,500 budget. The project will be revealed on August 19 as part of a local event.
About the Active Neighbourhoods project
How can the design of our communities contribute to health, well-being and safety? Respond to traffic congestion? Work towards the overall sustainability of our city? These are questions that inspired the development of Active Neighbourhoods Canada, a partnership between Sustainable Calgary, the Montreal Urban Ecology Centre and Toronto Centre for Active Transportation. We support walking, cycling and vibrant public spaces through community-led, professionally developed urban design projects, with the overall objective of combatting sedentary lifestyles and developing more participatory planning processes. We have worked alongside 4 communities in Calgary and Alberta over four years to gather resident feedback, propose design changes, prioritize changes to pursue, and in some cases – such as in this proposal – implement change.
Funding is now available from Sustainable Calgary, through the Active Neighbourhoods project, to prototype a vibrant public space in a SE Calgary community.
The finished design will be unveiled August 19, 2017, piggy-backing onto a local community event. Partnering on the project is a community Advisory Group, that will also take the lead on event communications.
Potentially involved at the site:
- Traffic calming measures implemented adjacent to the site (responsibility of professional engineers)
- Significant piece of urban furniture may be contributed by members of the community
- Community gardeners and local artists
- Vendors (coffee, books) (responsibility of Advisory Group)
- Seating, lighting, public art, signage (responsibility of artist-design team)
- Educational activities on traffic safety (responsibility of Sustainable Calgary/Advisory Group)
We are looking for a team of artist(s) and designer(s) that will act as artistic directors, responsible for design, materials purchase, construction, and co-ordinating / curating any contributions by others involved. They may also choose to combine design work with programming – for example, if the site construction is proposed as a participatory event. Logistical co-ordination with vendors will be undertaken by the community advisory group, with the design team providing artistic direction on how vendors are involved on site.
- Conceptual design schemes for the site (available upon request)
- Full-length project outline (available upon request)
- $12,000-$14,500 (depending on final scope of work)
- a vibrant public space that is sensitive to resident priorities
- design of simple promotional materials / branding
- final scope of work and deliverables to be developed collaboratively between design team and community advisory committee
Roles and Responsibilities
- Artistic direction
- Materials purchasing and site construction
- Consultation with Advisory Committee
- Co-ordination with possible collaborators, as relates to art direction
Community Advisory Committee:
- Event planning
- Event logistics
- Co-ordination with event collaborators (logistics, not art direction)
- Traffic-calming design and implementation
- Co-ordination with Advisory Committee
Please provide us with:
- Project Understanding: Brief recap of your understanding of the project (<300 words)
- Team commitment: list of those involved, hours available to devote to the project, and CVs
- Experience: Describe your collective experiences with similar projects, experiences that will help you do this work, and why you would work well together as a team. Feel free to include web links to past projects. (<500 words)
- Proposed Timeline: 3-4 potential phases of work and milestones (broad strokes only – these will be adapted as we develop a scope of work together)
Start Date: June 24, 2017
Deadline for Proposals: June 26, 2017, midnight
Send all proposals to email@example.com, addressed to Celia Lee. Feel free to contact us at the same address with any questions.